In this post we will create an Identity and Access Management (IAM) User with administrative permissions for AWS and then we will access AWS using a special URL with the credentials of the newly created IAM user. Steps are as follows:
Create the Administrators group
- Sign in to the AWS Management Console and open the IAM console at https://console.aws.amazon.com/iam/.
- In the navigation pane, click Groups, and then click Create New Group.
- In the Group Name box, type Administrators , and then click Next Step.
- In the list of policies, select the check box next to the AdministratorAccess policy.
- Click Next Step, and then click Create Group.
Your new group called “Administrators” is listed under Group Name.
Create an IAM user
- In the navigation pane, click Users, and then click Create New Users.
- In box 1, type a user name. Clear the check box next to Generate an access key for each user. Then click Create.
Add the user to the Administrators group
- In the navigation pane, click Groups.
- In the Groups section, click Add User to Groups.
- Select the check box next to the Administrators group, then click Add Users to Groups from Group Actions dropdown.
- Select the check box next to the user name, then click Add Users.
Create a password for the user
- In the navigation pane, click Users, select the user and click Manage Password from User Actions dropdown.
- Select Assign a custom password. Then type a password in the Password and Confirm Password boxes, then click Apply.
Is IAM User Created?
- Sign out of the AWS console, then use the following URL, https://your_aws_account_id.signin.aws.amazon.com/console/
where your_aws_account_id is your AWS account number.
- Enter the IAM user name and password that you just created. When you’re signed in, the navigation bar displays “your_user_name @ your_aws_account_id”.
Want to know your AWS Account Number?
Sign in as a root user to your AWS Account at following url: https://console.aws.amazon.com/billing/home?#/account.